Tuesday, July 7, 2009

New site – More work – One year anniversary!

Ok. So I know I mentioned in the previous blogs that I would write w/ more frequency but in reality you all will know why it has not been possible.
Not sure if everyone knew but I ended up going to the states about 3 months ago right after one of the worst nervous break downs I’ve experienced in Peru and in my life. It all happened right after my house here in Peru got broken into and had everything stolen. I went to the states and was able to clear my head and reconsider my Peace Corps service. After being in the states it helped me to see things from the outside and was able to realize what a Peace Corps volunteer actually does and how much the community appreciates what we do. Unfortunately a few people from my community fucked it all up for everyone….. no more business advising, English classes, surf lessons, etc. I know once I would get back from the states Peace corps would honor me a new community for me to work in. so I thought, I did not go through a ten month application process , 3 months of training, and 8 months working as a volunteer just to give it up so easily and ruin my future opportunities. As I got back from the states I was granted a new site. I am currently living in a small community in the department of Cajamarca or as we PCVs like to call it Caja-mazing! So I went from living three miles from the ocean to living in the middle of the Andes. In total honesty I was feeling a little hesitant in requesting a new site especially in the mountains, knowing how much I love the coast and warm weather, but I knew I was ready for a fresh start. No regrets thus far.
My community: population of 2000 people including outer villages. Lots of agriculture: corn, wheat, oatmeal, etc. It has 3 education establishments, One kindergarten, One Primary, and one secondary. If one gets sick, we do have a health post w/ one doctor and a nurse “available” 24 hours (better not get sick during siesta hour!). The family I live with is composed of a Host mom and dad and a frank my 4y/o host brother. I’m planning on taking this kid to the states and putting him on the show “kids say the darnest things”. He has the mouth of a 40 y/o. Luckily we do have water and electricity 24/7, unlike my old site, but that doesn’t mean I get a chance to shower daily since its so cold up here and there’s no such thing as hot water unless your making a cup of tea.
Projects – work:
I’m primarily working (advising) w/ two businesses. One is a ceramic Association and the other is a qui (guinea pig) farm and slaughter house. I spend more time with the ceramic artisans due to the fact that we are in the midst of putting together a course to improve other ceramicist’s business knowledge and quality of product. The qui farming are just starting out and spend more time with other NGOs since they provide funding to build the slaughter house and get their business up and running. Once that step is complete, I will then work with them more frequently. Other projects, as they are called secondary projects, include teaching English in the primary school (1-6 grade), teaching 3 vocational courses at the high school level to the kids who are about to graduate this year in December. One of the three is taught her in my town. The other I teach with a neighboring volunteer at his community, which is about a 30min. walk. Lastly, the 3rd vocational course is taught in a far rural community that consists of a two hour hike were there’s no running water or electricity. Considering the fact that we have to hike 2hrs to teach the class, we just pack up our camping gear and spend the night there and hike back the next morning. Though I’m still getting a feel for my community and learning what there needs are, I do have in mind a few more projects for the future, such as: A youth business/entrepreneurship club and a community clean up/recycling group.
One year in Peru!!!
Last month on June 6th a few volunteers and I celebrated our one year anniversary in Peru. We all stayed in our favorite hostel in Cajamarca and BBQ while watching FOX news (unfortunately they don’t broadcast CNN at that hostel). Considering everything that has happened to me, I feel as though this past year here in Peru has flown by. I believe I have finally found my niche and am ready to give it my 100% to the remainder of my service (one more yr.)
Upcoming events:
4th of July Pacasmayo Marathon: I was suppose to be training and run this marathon this weekend but after such intense training I developed a cist in my right knee and all I can do now is volunteer and pass out water, yippy!!. But after being in the mountains for 3 months straight I am ready to head to the coast, get some sun and surf the coast.
July 20th, Colombias Independence day: I will be traveling to Colombia and reunite with my family that will also come down from the states. I will be there for about a week then come back to Peru to enjoy another vacation to celebrate Peru’s Independence Day (July 28th). I’m still debating on whether to travel to the Amazon or far south to Lake Titicaca. Any suggestions????
Well, that’s about it for now. Ive also posted my new mailing address and cell number. Though I don’t have cell reception in town, I usually climb up hill for 30 min. to a place were miraculously has cell reception. There I can make phone calls and check my voice mail.

1 comment:

Lindsey Oliver said...

A few years ago, I was a PC Peru PCV, too -- Peru 3 to be exact. Similar to your experience, I was placed in a site on the coast, had some majorly scary run-ins with a few of my neighbors and was robbed at gun-point. Oh, and I had a major nervous breakdown, too. Thanks to the awesome PCMOs, they got me some help, and I decided to finish out my service in Huaraz. For which I'm eternally grateful, it was the BEST second year of PC service. I'm writing all this just to say -- I know where you're coming from and emphathize. PC is not always easy but it is and can be the most rewarding experience of your life. I'm glad your sticking with it. Take care out there!

Lindsey Parramore Oliver
Peru 3